Monday, September 22, 2008

Company Muffins With A Hidden Surprise

I have a confession, I LOVE apple butter. Sorry dear loved ones. I don't mean to scorn our love.. but ummmmmmmmmmmmm apple butter! I no longer can eat it but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see it spread on food for nothing more than old time's dreamy sake.

This week I have a few pears, apples, and a hodge podge of nuts to use up. The company muffin recipe I have is a great base recipe to use with ever you have handy. This time I decided that since apple butter and muffins was already a given, why not add the apple butter before baking and save my family a step. See, aren't I considerate ;)

Company Muffins
Recipe from Simply in Season

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat bran or rolled oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl combine and stir well.

2 large apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
1 1/2 cups carrots (finely shredded)
1 cup walnuts (chopped) or flax seed meal
1/2 cup raisins

Add and stir to coat. Make well in center

2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

In a separate bowl mix together. Pour into flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 18-20 minutes.

I never stick to the recipe and add nuts, fruit, and spices to suit my whims.

This round I used organic carrots from my CSA box. Yum. They were so tender and sweet. Notice the sunlight? After 21 straight days of rain I sure did!


My pears were starting to get squishy but were still great for baking. And since I am rarely satisfied with one variety, I made an apple one too!

Now about those varieties I mentioned. One batch had pears, pecans, and chocolate. The second batch had pears, walnuts, almonds, and apple butter. Before I put on the streusel topping I spooned some apple butter and another dollop of batter.

Now go rescue that fruit rotting away in your fruit bowl. This is a great recipe to play with.

No comments: